REGISTER your troupe HERE!
The Ringwald Theatre is sounding a call for local troupes to be a part of their 6th annual Gay Play Series (GPS). The Detroit-area’s only GLBT short play festival is striving to provide writers, directors, and actors the opportunity to produce new and exciting work that challenges, excites, and centers on gay issues and culture.
For the first time ever, The Ringwald will give actors, writers, and directors a chance to participate in an event like no other. In the place of the traditional One Act Play Festival portion of GPS, the 6th Annual celebration will feature The Ringwald’s Big Gay Mash-Up.
On Monday, June 8th, 2015, after the closing performance of 10 Naked Men, The Ringwald will host the GPS Mash-Up Launch Party. This event will pair troupes of 6 (or less) with a movie/music mash-up and 4 backing tracks from chosen songs to be used. The troupes will then be given 10 days to write, direct, choreograph and then perform their production as this year’s Main Event.
The mash-ups may have a performance time of 40 minutes or less and deal directly with issues or characters that are identified as gay/lesbian/transgender, or contain a gay sensibility. From those performed, an audience poll will be conducted to select one winning mash-up, actor, actress, and director. The winning mash-up will be given a late night slot in The Ringwald’s upcoming 2015-2016 Season.
Possible mash-up titles include: My Fair Lady Gaga, Cat on a Hot Tin Rufus Wainright, Fifty Chers of Grey, and Indigo Girls, Interrupted.
The 2014 Festival awarded Mom is GLAAD two awards: Best Script to Margaret Edwartowski and Best Actress to Linda Ramsay won Best Actress for playing the titular character. The Best Director award went to Josh Campos for his own play, Shelter and the Best Actor award was given to Jeff Smyk for his performance in Make Room for Stu.
REGISTER your troupe here!
- Troupes can consist of up to six people.
- Assignments of mash-ups to troupes will occur during the GPS Mash-Up Launch Party after the closing night performance of Ten Naked Men on Monday, June 8th, 2015.
- Troupes will be assigned a mash-up and 4 songs and given ten days to write, direct, block, and choreograph their mash-up.
- Troupes will perform on Saturdays at 8pm and Sundays at 3pm from June 20-June 28, 2015.
- Winning mash-ups will perform during the Closing Night Ceremonies on June 29, 2015.
- Winners will receive a late night slot during the Ringwald’s 2015-2016 Season.
- Sign-up deadline for troupes is May 15th.