The Ringwald Theatre is sounding a call for new, original one-act plays to be performed at their 3rd annual Gay Play Series (GPS). The Detroit-area’s only GLBT short play festival is striving to provide early-career writers the opportunity to see their work produced, giving them what is oft-needed exposure.
Last year’s expanded festival proved to be wildly successful, with Jason Sebacher’s play, A Few Survivors, winning the top prize. The 2011 Festival also saw more prizes handed out with Christa Coulter winning the Audience Award for Favorite Performance and Matthew Turner Shelton winning the Audience Award for Best Director, both for Rich Orloff’s play Vowed and Wowed. Artistic Director Joe Bailey says, “The GPS Festivals have continually exceeded our expectations and we have no doubt that the 3rd annual one will be no different. We are incredibly excited to get to planning the 2012 festivities.”
The plays submitted should have a performance time of 30 minutes or less and deal directly with issues or characters that are identified as gay/lesbian/transgender, or contain a gay sensibility. From the initial submission pool, a final line up will be chosen by a panel of judges to be performed at The Ringwald Theatre in June, 2012. From those performed, an audience poll will be conducted to select one script that will receive a full production at The Ringwald Theatre during the 2012/2013 season.
All submissions must be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The submitted script must be the script proposed for presentation, with no major alterations necessary.
- Please provide an approximate running time and a one sentence synopsis in the body of the email.
- Neither fax nor paper submissions will be accepted.
- Submission materials will not be returned.
- Previously submitted scripts will not be eligible.
- The deadline for submissions is March 16, 2012.
- The final line-up will be announced in May, 2012.
Sat, February 11, 2012
by Joe Plambeck